I’m just going to say it:
Okay. I was being very sarcastic just now, but on a serious note Kim Burrell has been socially irresponsible. Once again at no fault of her own because she has no clue regarding the ignorance of her behavior. Yet again it’s quite alright because that’s why this post has been written; to educate.
Maya Angelou once said, “when you know better you do better,” so here we go.
A few days ago pastor Kim Burrell was preaching a sermon at her church where she spoke about the “homosexual spirit.” She boldly stated that people who operate with such a spirit are perverted, and proceeded to say that death was attached to their behavior. This sermon also cost her an appearance on the Ellen Degeneres show.
Following her sermon Ms. Burrell went on her Facebook and live streamed a video attempting to explain herself; two videos actually.
Here’s where we have a problem:
- Ms. Burrell resides in a country where gay marriage was just recently legalized.
- that same country is upheld by a document which states: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.
- Ms. Burrell believes she is doing the work of God by preaching such a message
- She states in her FB Live video that she was primarily speaking to members of her church
- John 13:34 states: a new commandment I give unto you, that ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Though Ms. Burrell is in the work of bringing souls to Christ, it’s messages like the one she preached that keep people out of church pews.
Here’s the thing. People fail to realize that we are ALL one nation under God. Not just the United States, but the whole world. Regardless of your personal religious beliefs we were all placed on Earth to fulfill our purposes and treat people how we would want to be treated.
What if someone were to say the same regarding her “African American spirit?” What then? Oh yeah, Dylan Roof would be at her church if he wasn’t already in jail for what he did in South Carolina.
The point is we have to be safe about what we say, and how we say it. We also have to be careful about misinterpreting the word of God. No matter what the Bible says about homosexuality being a sin, how are we missing the “love one another as I have loved you” part?
Some things are better left unsaid people. Especially when we don’t really know what we’re talking about; we just think we do.
Today and every day after this, I encourage you to behave with a sense of social responsibility. PLEASE. Not for the sake of sex, race, or religion, but for the sake of HUMANITY.
You can view Kim Burrell’s sermon and FB live follow up videos here: